Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a Union Territory of India. With an area of 8,249 square kilometers, it is the third-largest Union territory. How many islands are there in Andaman and Nicobar islands? Let’s find out.
How many islands are there in Andaman and Nicobar?
Andaman and Nicobar Island group has a total of 836 islands (including smaller islets and rocky outcrops). The North Andaman island is the largest island of the group. It has an area of 1,408 square kilometers.
The top 3 largest islands in Andaman and Nicobar are –
|1,408 square kilometers
|1,395 square kilometers
|1,262 square kilometers
Number of districts in Andaman and Nicobar UT
Andaman and Nicobar union territory has 3 districts – Nicobar district, North and Middle Andaman district, and South Andaman district.
Bengali is the most spoken language in Andaman and Nicobar followed by Tamil, Telugu, and Hindi.
Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Union territory. The city is located on South Andaman Island.
Tourism in Andaman and Nicobar has picked up in the last few years. The islands are well connected via air and water with major cities in India. The top visited destinations in Andaman and Nicobar are –
- Swaraj Dweep
- Baratang Island
- Port Blair
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island
- Shaheed Dweep
Like the Lakshadweep Islands, Andaman and Nicobar islands are also heavily forested. 81.75 percent of Andaman and Nicobar is covered in forests. There are 9 protected National Parks in Andaman and Nicobar.
- Campbell Bay National Park – 426.23 sq km
- Galathea Bay National Park – 110 sq km
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine (Wandoor) National Park – 281.5 sq km
- Middle Button Island National Park – 0.44 sq km
- Mount Harriett National Park – 46.62 sq km
- North Button Island National Park – 0.44 sq km
- Rani Jhansi Marine National Park – 256.14 sq km
- Saddle Peak National Park – 32.54 sq km
- South Button Island National Park – 0.03 sq km
Andaman and Nicobar union territory profile
|8,249 square kilometers
|4,34,192 (2019 estimate)
|Andaman Wood Pigeon