Japan and South Korea are two developed countries in East Asia. The following is a comparison between these two countries. Let’s read.
Japan and South Korea – country comparison
|Japan||South Korea (Republic of Korea)|
|Area||approximately 378,000 square kilometers||approximately 100,350 square kilometers|
|Population||126 million (2020)||51.8 million (2023 estimate)|
|Region||East Asia||East Asia|
|Highest mountain||Mount Fuji (3,776 m)||Hallasan (1,947 m)|
|Major Rivers||Shinano River, Tone River, Ishikari River, Teshio River, etc||Nakdong River, Geum River, Yeongsan River, Han River, etc|
|Most popular sport||Baseball||Baseball and football (soccer)|
|Type of government||Parliamentary Government with a Constitutional Monarchy||Unitary presidential constitutional republic|
|Most spoken language||Japanese||Korean|
|Busiest Airport||Haneda Airport, Tokyo||Incheon International Airport|
|National Tree||Cherry blossom||Korean red pine|
|National Bird||Green pheasant||Korean magpie|
|Currency||Japanese Yen||South Korean won|
|Number of Islands||over 14,000||over 3,300|
|Number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites||25||16|
|Largest Metropolitan area||Greater Tokyo Area||Seoul Capital Area|
|Largest Island||Honshu Island||Jeju Island|
Which country is larger in area, Japan or South Korea?
Japan is more than 3.7 times larger than South Korea.
- Area of Japan – approximately 378,000 square kilometers
- Area of South Korea – approximately 100,350 square kilometers
- India and Russia – country comparison | India vs Russia
- England and Scotland – country comparison | area, geography, etc
Which country has a larger population, Japan or South Korea?
Japan has a larger population as compared with South Korea.
- Population of Japan – 126 million (2020)
- Population of South Korea – 51.8 million (2023 estimate)
Which country is more densely populated, Japan or South Korea?
The population density in South Korea is way more than Japan’s population density.
- Population density in Japan – 330-340 people per square kilometer (2020)
- Population density in South Korea – 510-520 people per square kilometer (2023 estimate)
Top 3 largest cities by population