This article compares Lion and Tiger, the two largest big cats. Let’s read.
Lion vs Tiger
- Lions are found in Africa and Asia. Lions of Asia are known as Asiatic Lions. Asiatic Lions are found in the wild only in India.
- Tigers are found only on the Asian continent in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and a few pockets in East Asia.
Lion vs Tiger – size comparison
The size of these big cats is different in different regions. In general, Tigers are larger than Lions. A Siberian Tiger would easily outweigh any Lion. A Southern African lion would easily outweigh a Sumatran or a Malayan Tiger.
|Siberian Tiger adult male weight range||180-300 kg|
|Indian Bengal Tiger adult male weight range||200-260 kg|
|Sumatran Tiger adult male weight range||100-140 kg|
|Northern Lion adult male weight range||150-190 kg|
|Southern African Lion adult male weight range||150-225 kg|
Which big cat has a louder roar, Lion or Tiger?
A Lion’s roar is louder than a Tiger’s roar. It generally can be heard from as far as 8 kilometers (5 miles). A Tiger’s roar can be heard from up to 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) away.
- Lion – Panthera leo
- Tiger – Panthera tigris
Tigers generally live solitary lives. Lions live in groups called pride.
- Lion – typically 10 to 15 years in the wild
- Tiger – typically 10 to 15 years in the wild, in some areas is less than 10 years
Both these big cats are a threatened species because of poaching, habitat loss, and food shortage. Tiger is more endangered among the two.
Lions live in savannas. Tigers have a wide range of habitats from jungle to savanna to even mangrove.
- In pride, hunting is done mostly by the lionesses.
- Tigers hunt alone.
Tigers are better swimmers than Lions. They are known to swim over large distances in search of prey.