Tiger is a member of the cat family (Felidae). It is probably the most popular species among the charismatic megafauna. Let’s learn some interesting facts about tigers.
Interesting facts about Tigers
- Tigers are the largest of all big cat species. Tigers are the largest, Lion the second-largest, and Jaguar the third-largest.
- Tigers live a solitary life. Very rarely they are seen hunting and living in groups.
- Stripes are unique to each individual Tiger just like human fingerprints.
- A tiger’s roar can be heard from as far as 3 kilometers.
- It generally takes 2-20 hunting attempts for a tiger to get a successful kill.
- Tigers are very good swimmers and are known to swim large distances.
- More than half of the World’s tiger population lives in India. Lately, the Tiger population in India has seen a sharp increase thanks to the government’s efforts.
- International Tiger Day is celebrated on 29 July.
- Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger are the same subspecies of tiger- Panthera tigris Tigris.
- Tiger is the national animal of India, Bangladesh, South Korea, and Malaysia.
- Tigers can run at a speed of 65 km/hr in short bursts.
- Tigers mostly hunt at night.
- A tiger’s hind legs are larger which helps it to make big leaps.
- Machali, a famous Bengal Tigress in Ranthambore National Park in India was known as the “crocodile killer“. She became famous after her fight with a 14-foot crocodile. She was also the oldest surviving Tigress in the wild. She lived for 19 years.
- A group of Tigers is known as a streak or an ambush.
|IUCN conservation status||Endangered|
|Lifespan||10-15 years in the wild|
|Weight||Bengal Tiger– (180-260) kg for male/(100-160) kg for female|
Siberian Tiger– (180-300) kg for male/(100-170) kg for female
Sumatran Tiger- (100-140) kg for male/(75-110) kg for female
|Scientific name||Panthera tigris|
This is the end of the article
Blue Whale is a mammal.
Answer to quick question
True, blue whale is a mammal.