The lion is a member of the cat family (Felidae). Often referred to as the “King of the Jungle”, Lion is one of the two most famous cat species, the other being the Tiger. Every wildlife lover has a dream of going on an African safari and watching the Lion from up close in the wild. Before you book your tickets to Africa, here are 12 interesting facts about Lions you should know.
|Lifespan||10-14 years in the wild|
|Weight||160-225 kg for males/110-140 kg for females (depending on the subspecies and region)|
|IUCN conservation status||Vulnerable|
|Scientific Name||Panthera leo|
12 interesting facts about Lions
1. The lion is the second-largest cat species after Tiger. Lions are found in the wild in Africa and the Gujarat state of India. In Africa, Lions are the largest cats.
2. Lions can run at a speed of 80 km/hr in short bursts.
3. A Lion’s roar can be heard from as far as 8 kilometers (5 miles).
4. Lions are the most social big cats. They live in groups of 15-30 known as pride.
5. Lions mostly hunt after dusk.
6. Only male lions have a mane.
7. Lions sometimes rest and sleep for 20 hours a day.
8. In Pride, the hunting is done mostly by females.
9. Although referred to as the “King of the Jungle”, Lions mostly live in grasslands and savanna.
10. The Gir National Park in Gujarat, India is the only place in the world where the Asiatic Lion is found in the wild.
11. The Gestation period for a lioness is 105-110 days. The lioness gives birth to 2-4 cubs.
12. Lions’ heels do not touch the ground when they walk.
This is the end of the article
Which is larger?
Answer to quick question
African Bush Elephants are larger than African Forest elephants.