The article compares the top two most populous countries in North America, the United States of America (USA) and Mexico. Let’s read.
USA vs Mexico | country comparison
Which country has a larger area, USA or Mexico?
The United States is much larger in area than Mexico.
- USA area – about 9.8 million square kilometers
- Mexico area – 1.964 million square kilometers
Which country is more populous, USA or Mexico?
USA and Mexico rank number 1 and 2 respectively in terms of population in North America.
- USA population – over 333 million (2022) (3rd largest in the world)
- Mexico population – over 129 million (2022) (10th largest in the world)
Highest mountain peak
- USA – Denali/Mount McKinley (6,190 meters)
- Mexico – Pico de Orizaba (Citlaltépetl) (5,636 meters)
- American football, baseball, and basketball are the three most popular sports in the US.
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Mexico. Other popular sports in Mexico are Baseball, boxing, and basketball.
Most spoken Language
- USA – English
- Mexico – Spanish
- USA – Washington, D.C. (population – around 700,000)
- Mexico – Mexico City (Population – around 9.2 million)
Fun fact about Mexico city – Mexico city is the most populous city in North America.
- The US has 50 states and a federal district i.e., Washington, D.C.
- There are 32 federal entities in Mexico, 31 of which are states and 1 is the capital Mexico City.
(Also read: USA vs Canada | USA and Canada – country comparison)
- USA – 33-35 people per square kilometer (pretty low)
- Mexico – 66 people per square kilometer (on the lower side)
Both Mexico and the United States have a wide range of climate zones. In general, Mexico remains warmer than the United States.
The GDP of the United States is considerably higher than Mexico. In fact, the US has the largest GDP in the world.
- USA – Brown bear, black bear, Cougar, Bighorn sheep, Gray Wolf, Moose, Elk, American Bison, etc.
- Mexico – Cougar, Jaguar, Baird’s tapir, Spider monkey, etc.
- USA – Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, American Robin, Northern Cardinal, Mourning Dove, etc.
- Mexico – West Mexican chachalaca, Golden Eagle, Green parakeet, Mexican Woodnymph, etc.
- USA – American Alligator, American crocodile, Western diamondback rattlesnake, Gila monster lizard, Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, etc.
- Mexico – Western diamondback rattlesnake, Gila monster lizard, Mexican beaded lizard, Morelet’s crocodile, etc.
USA vs Mexico
|Area||about 9.8 million square kilometers||1.964 million square kilometers|
|Population||over 333 million (2022)||over 129 million (2022)|
|Most spoken language||American English||Spanish|
|Capital city||Washington, D.C.||Mexico City|
|Largest city||New York City||Mexico City|
|Currency||United States dollar||Mexican Peso|
|Highest mountain||Denali/Mount McKinley||Pico de Orizaba|
|Most popular sport||American Football||Football (association football)|
|Busiest Airport||Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport||Mexico City International Airport|
|Type of government||Federal presidential constitutional republic||Federal presidential republic|
|Life expectancy at birth (2021/UN)||77.2||70.2|