The states in India are further divided into districts for better administration. The number of districts in a state generally depends on the population density. Uttar Pradesh which is the most populous state in India has the most number of districts among all states. Currently, the total number of districts in India is 740.
India is a country with a humongous population. The population is still rising at a fairly high rate. The total number of districts in India is expected to rise further in the coming years. The following is a list showing the number of districts state-wise.
State-wise number of districts
|State||Number of districts||Area rank||Population rank|
|Total – 695|
|Union territory||Number of districts||Area Rank||Population rank|
|1||Andaman and Nicobar islands||3||3||6|
|3||Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||3||5||5|
|4||Jammu and Kashmir||20||2||2|
|7||National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT)||11||4||1|
|Total – 45|
- Kutch (Kachchh) district is the largest district in India in terms of area. It has an area of 45,674 square kilometers.
- Leh district is the second-largest district in India. However, considering the disputed regions of Gilgit Baltistan and Aksai Chin, Leh becomes the largest district.
- The smallest district in India is Mahe which is just about 9 square kilometers in area. Mahe is one of the four districts of Puducherry union territory.
- 3 new districts are proposed in Madhya Pradesh- Nagda, Maihar, and Chachaura.
- 1 new district Tamulpur is proposed in Assam.
- The National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT) has 11 districts.
- Goa has the least number of districts among all states. Goa has only two districts- North Goa and South Goa.
The article was last updated on 2 November 2021.