Asia is the largest continent in the world. It covers roughly 30% of Earth’s total land area and over 8.7% of Earth’s total surface area. The following is the list of all the recognized Asian countries and their capitals. Let’s read.
(Please note that the definition of continental boundaries may differ from source to source.)
List of 50 Asian countries in alphabetical order (recognized by the UN)
(The list also includes transcontinental countries)
|7||Brunei||Bandar Seri Begawan|
|40||Sri Lanka||Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte|
|44||East Timor (Timor-Leste)||Dili|
|47||United Arab Emirates||Abu Dhabi|
Top 10 largest Asian countries (overall area)
- Russia (~17.1 million square kilometers)
- China (~10 million square kilometers)
- India (~3.3 million square kilometers)
- Kazakhstan (2.73 million square kilometers)
- Saudi Arabia (2.15 million square kilometers)
- Indonesia (1.9 million square kilometers)
- Iran (1.65 million square kilometers)
- Mongolia (1.56 million square kilometers)
- Pakistan (796,095 square kilometers)
- Turkey (Türkiye) (783,562 square kilometers)
Fun facts about Asia
- Asia is not just the largest continent by area, it is also the most populated continent on Earth by far.
- The highest mountain peak in the world, the mighty Mount Everest is in Nepal, a South Asian country. Moreover, all the over-7,000 m high mountains are in Asia.
- The highest mountain outside of Asia is Aconcagua. It is located in the South American country of Argentina. Aconcagua is 6,961 metres (22,838 ft) high.
- Yangtze River, the third longest River in the world is in Asia. The river flows in China and has a length of 6,300 kilometers (3,915 miles)
- The world’s most populated country China and the world’s second most populated country India are in Asia.
- Tokyo, the capital of Japan is the world’s largest city by population. In 2022, the Tokyo Metropolitan area had a population of approximately 40 million.
- The largest Island in Asia is Borneo. Borneo has an area of 748,200 square kilometers and it is also the world’s third-largest island.
- The world least densely populated country is in Asia. Mongolia with a population density of only 3 people per square kilometers is the world’s least densely populated country.
- The world’s coldest capital city is the capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar. The temperatures in Ulaanbaatar can drop below −40 °C/−40.0 °F. Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan also ranks among the coldest capital cities in the world.
- The second most densely populated in the world is in Asia. Singapore has a population density of about 7,500 people per square kilometer and it ranks number 2 in terms of population density after Monaco.
Mountain ranges of Asia
- The Himalayas
- The Pamir Mountains
- The Altai Mountains
- The Western Ghats
- The Karakoram range
- The Zagros Mountains
- Tian Shan
- Kunlun Mountains
- The Urals
- The Japanese Alps
- The Sudirman Range
and many more
Major Rivers of Asia
- Yangtze River
- Brahmaputra River
- Ganga River
- Indus River
- Godavari River
- Mekong River
- Yellow River
- Lena River
- Ob River
and many more
Major Deserts of Asia
- The Gobi Desert
- The Thar desert
- The Arabian Desert
- Taklamakan Desert
- Dasht-E Kavir
- The Cholistan Desert
- The Karakum Desert
Famous wildlife of Asia
- Bengal Tiger
- Asian Elephant
- Red Panda
- Asiatic Lion
- Saltwater Crocodile
- Mugger Crocodile
- Giant panda
- Komodo dragon
- King Cobra
- Polar bear
- Brown bear