Russia is a transcontinental country in Asia and eastern Europe. India is a densely populated country in Southern Asia. The following is a comparison between India and Russia. Let’s read.
India vs Russia – country comparison
Which country is larger in area, India or Russia?
Russia is the largest country in the world by area. India is the seventh largest country. Russia is more than five times the size of India.
- Area of India – around 3.3 million square kilometers
- Area of Russia – around 17.1 million square kilometers
Which country has a larger population, India or Russia?
The population of India is multiple times the population of Russia.
- Population of India – 1.43 billion (2023) (estimated)
- Population of Russia – around 147 million (2021)
In which country the population density is higher, India or Russia?
- Population density of India – 430-440 people per sq km (very high)
- Population density of Russia – 9 people per sq km (very low)
In which country the life expectancy is higher, India or Russia?
The life expectancy at birth in Russia (69.4) is higher as compared with India (67.2).
- India – New Delhi
- Russia – Moscow
- India – Mumbai
- Russia – Moscow
India’s GDP (nominal) is higher than Russia’s GDP as of 2023.
Most spoken language
Hindi is the most spoken language in India. Other major languages in India are Bengali, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. Russian is the official and the most spoken language in Russia.
(Also read: India and USA – country comparison | India vs USA)
Cricket is by far the most popular sport in India. Other popular sports in India include Badminton, Hockey, kabaddi, football, etc. Football, Bandy, Ice hockey, Tennis, and basketball are the most popular sports in Russia.
- India – Vembanad Lake
- Russia – Caspian Sea (shared with multiple countries), Lake Baikal (entirely within Russia)
- India – North Andaman Island (1,408 sq km)
- Russia – Sakhalin (72,492 sq km)
Highest mountain peak
- India – read here
- Russia – Mount Elbrus (5,642 meters/18,510 ft)
Major international airports
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi (busiest)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai
- Chennai International Airport, Chennai
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore
- Cochin International Airport, Kochi
- Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow (busiest)
- Domodedovo International Airport, Moscow
- Pulkovo Airport, St. Petersburg
- Koltsovo Airport, Yekaterinburg
- Tolmachevo Airport, Novosibirsk
|Area||around 3.3 million square kilometers||around 17.1 million square kilometers|
|Population||1.43 billion (2023) (estimated)||around 147 million (2021)|
|Most spoken language||Hindi||Russian|
|National Animal||Tiger||Eurasian brown bear|
|Continent||Transcontinental (Asia and eastern Europe)||Southern Asia|
|Currency||Indian Rupee||Russian Ruble|
|Busiest Airport||Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi||Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow|
|Most popular sport||Cricket||Football|