Uttar Pradesh is a state in Northern India with Lucknow being the capital city. Here are 10 interesting facts about Uttar Pradesh, the “always in news” state of India.
Uttar Pradesh facts
- UP is the most populous state of India. Moreover, it is the most populous country subdivision in the world. It is also the fourth largest state in terms of area.
- UP shares borders with 8 Indian states (Haryana, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand), union territory of Delhi and Nepal.
- Uttar Pradesh has the third largest GDP among all the states in India (as of 2019).
- UP ranks second in domestic tourist arrivals and third in foreign tourist arrivals (according to 2019 report by ministry of tourism). The wonder of world, the “Taj Mahal” in Agra, the “Agra Fort”, the “Fatehpur Sikri” are the three UNESCO world heritage sites in UP. Additionally, other tourist destinations include Varanasi, Vrindavan, Ayodhya, Sarnath and Prayagraj where Kumbh Mela is held.
- UP was formed as United Provinces of Oudh and Agra in 1902. It was renamed to United Provinces of British India in 1921, again renamed to only United Provinces in 1937 and finally renamed Uttar Pradesh in 1950.
- Uttarakhand separated from UP on 9 November 2000.
- UP can literally be called as the “land of avatars” as it has been the birthplace or workplace of many avatars of Lord Vishnu. Lord Rama was born in Ayodhya, Lord Krishna was born in Vrindavan, Buddha gave his first sermon in Sarnath.
- There are 75 districts in UP making it an important state politically. 31 Rajya Sabha and 80 Lok Sabha seats are from Uttar Pradesh.
- UP has the second-highest cumulative National Highway length (11.737 km as of 31/03/2019) of all states in India (Maharashtra has the highest, 17,757 km).
Which is the largest North-eastern state in terms of area?
- Dudhwa National Park, the only National Park in UP is home to some enthralling animal species including the Royal Bengal Tiger, the great Indian one horned rhinoceros and the Barasingha. Half of the world’s Barasinghas are found in Dudhwa.
- Hindi and Urdu are two official languages. However, there are 7 different dialects of Hindi spoken in UP.
Additional Uttar Pradesh facts
|Area||240,928 sq km|
|State animal||Swamp deer|
|State bird||Sarus Crane|
|Literacy||67.68% (as per 2011 census)|
|Official languages||Hindi and Urdu|
|Number of districts||75|
|Lok Sabha seats||80|
|Rajya Sabha seats||31|
|Sex ratio||912 females per 1000 malea|
This is the end of the article.
Answer to quick question
Arunachal Pradesh is the largest state in north-east India in terms of area.