Russia and Canada are the top 2 largest countries in the world. Both the countries being large and cold are often compared. Let’s compare these two countries.
Russia vs Canada – country comparison
Which country is larger, Russia or Canada?
Russia is 1.7 times larger in area than Canada.
- Russia area – around 17.1 million square kilometers
- Canada area – around 10 million square kilometers
Which country is more populous, Russia or Canada?
Russia is the ninth most populous country in the world. Canada is way down on the list.
- Population of Russia – around 145 million
- Population of Canada – around 40 million (2023)
Which country has more lakes, Russia or Canada?
Read here: Which country has the most lakes?
Both these countries are among the least densely populated countries.
- Population density of Russia – 9 people per square kilometer
- Population density of Canada – 4 people per square kilometer
- Football, Bandy, Ice hockey, Tennis, and basketball are the most popular sports in Russia.
- Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, football, baseball, cricket, and basketball are the most popular sports in Canada.
Highest mountain peak
- Russia – Mount Elbrus (5,642 meters)
- Canada – Mount Logan (5,959 meters)
- Shared – Caspian sea
- Entirely within Russia – Lake Baikal
- Shared – Lake Superior
- Entirely within Canada – Great Bear Lake
- Russia – Sakhalin (72,492 square kilometers/27,989 square miles)
- Canada – Baffin island (507,450 square kilometers/195,927 square miles)
Most spoken Language
- Russia – Russian
- Canada – English and French
- Russia – Moscow
- Canada – Ottawa
Top 5 largest cities
- Saint Petersburg
Canada and Russia have the eighth and ninth-largest GDPs in the world respectively.
Number of international borders
- Canada – Canada-US border, Canada-Denmark border (on Hans Island)
- Russia – 14 international borders (Read more here)
Major international airports
- Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow
- Domodedovo International Airport, Moscow
- Pulkovo Airport, St. Petersburg
- Koltsovo Airport, Yekaterinburg
- Tolmachevo Airport, Novosibirsk
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Vancouver International Airport
- Calgary International Airport
- Montréal–Trudeau International Airport
- Edmonton International Airport
|Area||~17.1 million sq km||~10 million sq km|
|Population||around 145 million||around 40 million (2023)|
|Continent||Asia and Europe (transcontinental)||North America|
|Currency||Russian Ruble||Canadian dollar|
|Official language||Russian||English and French|
|National Animal||Eurasian brown bear||Beaver and the Canadian Horse|
|Busiest airport||Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow||Toronto Pearson International Airport|