Uttarakhand is a Himalayan state in Northern India. It was carved out of Uttar Pradesh on 9 November 2000. Here are 10 facts about Uttarakhand, one of the most beautiful states of India.
Interesting facts about Uttarakhand
- The second highest peak in India, Nanda devi, is located in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. Nanda devi is in fact the highest peak lying entirely in India as the Kanchenjunga is shared by India and Nepal.
- Uttarakhand borders Tibet to the North, Uttar Pradesh to the South, Himachal Pradesh to the West and Nepal to the East.
- Uttarakhand is divided in two regions- Garhwal and Kumaon. There are 13 districts in Uttarakhand, 7 in Garhwal and 6 in Kumaon region.
Garhwal districts- Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Dehradun, Haridwar, Tehri Garhwal, Pauri Garhwal, Rudraprayag
Kumaon districts- Champawat, Pithoragarh, Nainital, Almora, Bageshwar, Udham Singh Nagar
- Many important rivers of North India originate in Uttarakhand e.g., Ganga, Yamuna, Sharda (Kali). These rivers are lifeline to millions of people living in the Plains.
- Tehri Dam is the highest dam in India located in Tehri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand and has a height of 260.5 m (855 ft).
- Uttarakhand has Sanskrit as one of the official languages.
- Uttarakhand is the foremost destination for travellers. The Char Dham yatra of Uttarakhand (or the Chota char Dham yatra) is a popular pilgrimage circuit that includes Badrinath, Kedarnath, Yamunotri, and Gangotri.
The Nanda Devi and Valley of flower National Park is a UNESCO world heritage site. The area includes various high peaks of more than 7,000 meters elevation.
- The Jim Corbett National Park is the oldest National Park in India located in Nainital district. It was established in 1936. Jim Corbett National Park is a popular destination for Tiger lovers.
- Rishikesh in Uttarakhand is known as the “yoga capital of the world“. People from around the world come here to learn yoga and meditation. 20 km south of Rishikesh, is the city of Haridwar, where the Kumbh mela is held.
- The Tungnath temple is the highest shiva temple in the world located in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. It is one of the panch kedars.
Additional Uttarakhand facts
|State animal||Alpine musk deer|
|State bird||Himalayan Monal|
|Literacy||79.63% (as per 2011 census)|
|Number of districts||13|