Maharashtra is a state in peninsular India. Famous for its temples and film industry, Maharashtra is a large state with plenty to talk about. Here are some interesting facts and information about Maharashtra.
Interesting facts about the Maharashtra state
Maharashtra is the third largest state by area and the second-largest state by population in India. It is bordered by 6 states – Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Telangana, and Goa.
The state of Maharashtra is the largest contributor to India’s GDP. The capital city Mumbai is the “financial capital of India”. Agriculture is the major driving force of the state’s economy.
Top 5 contributors to India’s GDP-
- Uttar Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
~Feb 2021 data
There are 36 districts in Maharashtra. Ahmednagar district is the largest district by area while Thane is the largest district in terms of population.
The districts of Maharashtra are divided into 6 divisions-
- Amravati division
- Aurangabad division
- Konkan division
- Nagpur division
- Nashik division
- Pune division
Divisions should not be confused with regions of Maharashtra. The five regions of Maharashtra are-
- Paschim Maharashtra
Tourism in Maharashtra
Maharashtra ranks second when it comes to foreign tourist visits. More than 55 lakh (5.5 million) foreign tourists visited Maharashtra in 2019. Also, more than 14 crore domestic tourists visited Maharashtra in 2019 making it the fifth most visited state domestically. There is plenty to see in Maharashtra from ancient temples to beautiful beaches to misty mountains. There are 6 UNESCO world heritage sites in the state- Elephanta caves, Ajanta caves, Ellora caves, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Railway station, Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensembles of Mumbai, and the Western Ghats.
The capital city Mumbai is the most populous city in India. The city is home to Bollywood, one of the largest film industries in the world. Moreover, the Marathi film industry is also based in Mumbai.
Some useful information
- Marathi is the official language of Maharashtra. People speaking Marathi as their first language are known as Marathi people. Marathi people are in the overwhelming majority in Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra has the second most number of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha seats after Uttar Pradesh.
- Lok Sabha seats in Maharashtra – 48
- Rajya Sabhi seats in Maharashtra – 19
- Maharashtra was the centre of power of the Maratha empire which covered more than 3/4 th of the present day India. The first Maratha emperor Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is seen as an inspiration and hero in the entire country for his rule and fight against the Mughals.
- There are 6 National Parks in Maharashtra
Chandoli NP- 317.67 sq km
Gugamal NP- 361.28 sq km
Nawegaon NP- 33.88 sq km
Pench (Jawaharlal Nehru) NP- 257.26 sq km
Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) NP- 86.96 sq km
Tadoba NP- 116.55 sq km
The total forest cover of Maharashtra is 50,778 sq km which is 16.50 % of the total geographical area of the state.
- Navi Mumbai is a planned city east of the Mumbai city. It is the largest planned city in the world.
- The first passenger train in India ran from Bori Bunder in Mumbai to Thane (34 kilometers) on 16 April, 1853. The train was operated by Great Indian Peninsula Railway and was on a broad gauge line.
- Mahabaleshwar is a hill station town in the Satara district. The town is famous for its lush green landscape. Mahabaleshwar is one of the wettest places in India receiving more than 5,500 mm of average annual rainfall.
Maharashtra facts table
|State tree||Mango (Magnifera indica)|
|State bird||Yellow-legged green pigeon|
|Literacy||82.34 % (2011 census)|
|State animal||Indian Giant squirrel|
|Population||11.24 crores (2011 census)|
|Number of districts||36|
|Lok Sabha seats||48|
|Rajya Sabha seats||19|
These were some facts and information about the Maharashtra state. If you want to learn about the other states, you can click on the following links.
- Districts in Maharashtra | full list | interesting facts
- 11 interesting facts about the Rajasthan state
- Madhya Pradesh facts – The heart of India
- Uttarakhand facts – The dev bhumi (The Land of Gods)
- Uttar Pradesh facts – The mini India within India
- Tamil Nadu facts – Overview, geography, temples, etc.
- West Bengal facts – Overview, geography, districts, tourism, etc.